DATTA Vic is working hard to address the current shortage of trained Technologies teachers on behalf of our members.
Following extenstive research with schools from all over Australia in 2019, we created a report on the national teacher shortage, and then in 2020, we released the Victorian report. This details the impact of the crisis on our teachers and students.
Please sign this petition to the Victorian Government to call for increased initial teacher education opportunities in Technologies and VET and to protest the closure of the Bachelor of Technology Education course at La Trobe University
Click HERE to access the letter sent to Professor Tien Kieu, the Victorian STEM Education Amnbassador, alerting him to the critical shortage of qualified D&T teachers.
In February 2020, DATTA Vicwrote to the Hon.James Merlino MP, Deputy Premier and Minister for Education, to ask for his intervention in this crisis.
This was accompanied by a second letter to the Ministers with the following portfolios:
Training, Skills & Higher Education; Transport & Infrastructure; Regional Development & Resources; Jobs, Innovation & Trade, Energy, Environment & Climate Change; Creative Industries; Small Business; Public Transport
You can read both these letters here:
|Letter to the Hon James Merlino MP, Deputy Premier and Minister for Education||Letter to Victorian Government Ministers detailing the wider effects of the teacher shortage|
DATTA Vic have also:
- achieved press coverage of the crisis in a number of publications, including The Age and Education HQ
- worked with University and TAFE partners to develop increased options for initial teacher training and market them to appropriate graduates and industry professionals
- piloted a succesful Teaching Design Masterclass to support teachers from other learning areas to safely deliver the D&T curriculum, which will be repeated in 2020 (click HERE for details)M
- succesfully applied for funding to deliver a pilot Success with Systems Engineering Masterclass, in partnership with Banyule Nillumbik Tech School
- offered free memberships to all students undertaking study in Design & Technologies education
- delivered Design & Technologies Week to raise the profile of Design & Techhnologies amongst the wider education community
For information on becoming a D&T Teacher, click HERE.
For further information on this, or any other DATTA Vic initiative, contact Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org / 03 9349 5809